as if my life wasn’t crazy enough. at 3:30 am on december 8 I got a call from the trauma unit at the ER. My daughter was there and was asking for me. I asked the nurse if he could tell me what had happened, he said yes. “she was shot.”
“Yes, in the butt. with a 20-gauge shotgun, She is going to be ok, no organs were hit, they will be doing tests to see the extent of the damage.”
“I have her son with me, I will be there as soon as I can get someone to watch him.”
I didn’t realize that my son, who has been staying with us for about a month while he waited to get his electricity turned back on, was home. Thank God he was here and I was able to leave at once.
My younger daughter accompanied me to the hospital where they took us right in to see her.
I asked her what happened? who shot you?
It was my grandson’s father. and it was an accident. or was it? How does a man who has been raised around guns unknowingly have a loaded gun in his house?
We feel that he didn’t shoot her on purpose, but I think he did point the gun at her while showing off or goofing off for his friend.
he was arrested. he immediately lost his job.
She is in the hospital. She will have to be attached to a wound-vac for two months. I don’t know yet what this means for her job.
really I am not one to use foul language but all I can think to say is “what the fuck”
I wonder why it had to be my lot in life to have not normal things happen to them and those around them.
let me give you a quick summary of the craziness that accompanies me.
- My mother died when I was six.
- My father handed us over to the social worker a year later.
- My aunt and uncle adopted us (one of the best things that ever happened to me)
- My new father was by-polar and had a depressive episode in the first few years of our lives with them.
- He then had a manic episode when I was a teenager.
- I became pregnant at the age of 20, married, became a step mother, had a baby, and then had an abortion all in the same year.
- We moved seven hours away from our families.
- had a baby, then a miscarriage.
- My mother (the aunt that adopted me) died when I was 29. My Father (her husband) had another manic episode. followed by a depressive episode.
- I had a very pre-mature baby that same year.
- The man my husband worked for committed suicide. It somehow fell upon us to go and tell his ex-wife and children.
- one month later my Dad died. the same week that my husband was offered a new job 5 hours away from the home we had made for ourselves for the past nine years.
- We moved, bought a house. Had death threats made toward my husband.
- He was fired a few years later. got another job, then another, then landed the first job that required us to live apart.
- fast forward to loosing that job, loosing his father, getting a new job that still kept us apart.
- then what I call his summer of discontent. which lead to the affair.
- my two suicide attempts.
- His mothers cancer and ultimate death.
- his continuing affair.
- my deciding to return to school at the age of 50.
- intense couples therapy.
- and now my daughter gets shot!
Will this craziness ever end or is this truly my lot in life? If it is I want a new lot. Please.